Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mobile phones

I know this question has probably been asked a hundred times, but can we buy a mobile phone in Orlando? If so, can anyone recommend a particular brand, shop to buy, etc. I%26#39;m grateful for any input.





By the way, 14 sleeps to go! Yippeeeeee!!



Mobile phones


Walmart carries a range of cell phones...if you want the phone to work when you return home, look for a GSM quad band model (AT %26amp; T or T-Mobile - Edge or 3G).





Enjoy your trip.



Mobile phones


you can getta phone with 300 minutes from walmart for $30,if you buy two ,you can talk for 2 weeks very cheaply !!




Yes, just to amplify about the $30 phone at Walmart:





Supplied by Net10. It costs $30. It comes with $30-worth of credit (so, yes, you might say the phone and charger are ';free';). This credit can be topped up with a minimum of another $30. Credit expires and is forfeit after 60 days, unless topped up in this time.





Your $30 is used up at these rates:





To call any other US number, including another US mobile (cell) phone - 10c/minute



To receive a call regardless of where from - 10c/minute



To call a UK landline - 15c/minute



SMS to another US mobile - 5c each





You can%26#39;t use it to call a UK mobile number, nor to send SMS to a UK mobile number. The handset only works on the Net10 system so will be throwaway when you leave the US. The SIM only works on Net10 phones as well.





(Caveat: Details are as in January when I last had one).




Sorry, I should have been clearer, I want to buy a phone to bring home, not particularly to use there, although the $30 phones from Walmart sound brilliant, I never thought of that! The first reply mentioned quad band phones, and I read somewhere else about tri-band, are these what I need to look for (I am a total technophobe!) Thanks!!




I bought a couple of SIM cards on ebay. They cost 拢5 each and came with $10 worth of credit.





Search for %26#39;sim card usa%26#39; and you should get some results.





Delivery from the states was around 5 days.




I%26#39;m not sure how accurate this is, but I was told by a chap at the Carphone Warehouse that you can%26#39;t buy a phone from the US to use in the UK, especially if the aim is to unlock it to use a UK-based SIM card. Admittedly this was some months ago, so technology in that respect may have changed. I gave up on the idea.





Someone did say a while ago that they%26#39;d found someone (a website) willing to unlock an I Phone bought from the US, but the problem is it renders the warranty useless.





But I still think there%26#39;s no harm in asking. As I say, that advice was given to me about six months ago now. There%26#39;s a Best Buy opposite(ish) the Florida Mall which has a good range of phones. There%26#39;s also a Circuit City, both on the South Orange Blossom Trail. The big Walmarts have a decent selection too. Or if you%26#39;re into the I-Phone there%26#39;s an Apple Store in the Florida Mall itself.





Quad band just means it has more world-wide coverage than say tri-band. You can use quad band in more parts of the USA say, than tri-band.





Good luck and have a wonderful trip. I%26#39;d be interested to know how you get on re: the phone.




Most phones that you would want to take home to use would require you to buy a two year service that would be tied to the U.S. market which would probably not be good for you. If you want to buy a phone reasonably without having to sign up for service, get it on ebay.




ichy-feet,





I have an unlocked phone which I have used with a UK sim whilst in Orlando. Would one of the USA sims you mention work in it?





Deaconblue




If you want to buy a new unlocked phone to be able to use with any GSM carrier in the world and with the latest technology, look inside the florida mall a booth that is beside the food court, they sale the latest unlocked GSM phones.




Frankly, you would be better buying your phone over here. It may be surprising, but, as a general observation, phones in the US are behind those available here and/or are more expensive.





If you want an unlocked handset, then you may be interested to learn that **almost all** phones sold at Carphone Warehouse are unlocked, regardless of which network you buy them with. And this can save you money. You can check with the staff whether the one you choose is unlocked.





For example, I recently bought a Samsung U600 handest which was being sold, SIM-free and unlocked, on the web at 拢150 give or take, at best. At CPW, the same handset cost me 拢89.99, plus I had to take a new PAYG SIM (TMobile) and top it up with 拢10; so, total cost 拢99.99. I haven%26#39;t used or even registered the SIM; put my own (Orange) SIM in it and that%26#39;s it.





And, by comparison, the same handset at the above mentioned independent stall at the Florida Mall was $350 unlocked/SIM free. (so, 拢175 plus tax, plus UK duty and VAT, oh... and a charger with the wrong plug end on it, oh, and no UK warranty).





At the same time, the Motorola V3 (original version) was 拢40+拢10 top up here and $199 in the US.


  • beauty
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment