Saturday, April 21, 2012

Anyone used Thomas Exchange Global for currency



Went on GMTV web site this morning, for Martin Lewis%26#39;s advise as to where to get good deals for currency, and found this site.





Anybody used it? Rates are good 1.93 or 1.94 buy over the counter, or get posted to your address.





Handy for me because they are based in London, and OH can pop to their office in his lunchbreak (thats if i decide to use them!)





I know Crown Currency is highly regarded on here, just i%26#39;m a worrier and i wont rest until the currency is in my hands!



Anyone used Thomas Exchange Global for currency


I haven%26#39;t used them but I would say that if Martin Lewis is recommending them - they must be a sure bet, that man def knows what he%26#39;s talking about!





Have you looked on his website to see if there are any forums for foreign currency? You could post a question on there if no one%26#39;s asked this already - just to put your mind at rest.





If your OH can pop into the place though, I%26#39;d do that, you know for sure that you will get your money there and then, that%26#39;s got to be a safe bet!





Let me know if you don%26#39;t get the same rate when your OH goes in though, that%26#39;d be interesting!



Anyone used Thomas Exchange Global for currency




Thanks happy007 - I%26#39;m pretty sure thats the way we are going to get our dollars, going to get OH to go up there next wednesday lunchtime, so will report back then - will obviously in the meantime keep a check on the rates.




Got my dollars!





OH went to Thomas Exchange Global this morning, exchange rate $1.97, 5 minutes after he walked out the exchange rate went down to 拢1.96.5, tiny difference i know!





But, because we paid with our Visa Debit Card (barclays), Thomas Exchange Global said we might get charged 拢4.00 by barclays for using this service! Not overimpressed with Barclays if that is the case!





I appreciate if you use a credit card you incur costs, but not a debit card!





At least if we do get charged the fee by our bank, we covered the 拢4 by getting the .5 of a dollar more by buying them 5 minutes earlier!





Would have been gutted if the exchange rate went up 5 minutes after.





So, i would recommend Thomas Exchange Global, got better exchange rate than Crown Currency and was able to collect the dollars there and then (easy for us because OH works in London) rather than wait in for the post.




Wanted to add i%26#39;m not slating Crown Currency, as never used them before, just Thomas Exchange Global worked better for me!




Dawn,





We always use Thomas Global - they have the best rates for Euros and Dollars - would recommend to anyone who can collect in London - Just a note I have found that you seem to get .5 better rate( in either euro or dollar) in the Victoria office rather than the Strand - glad you had good service and got a great rate .





Sol




Oh darn, OH went to Strand office - oh well, too late but interesting to know x




Hi, we use them all the time. Hubby works in London so easier for him to drop in and pick them up. We also got ours at $1.97 last Friday.




Hi All!





Sadly i cannot recommend this company even despite ';supposedly'; offering the best rate!! ...Here is my story (sorry its so long!!)...





I have had a very hard time with this company. Ordered 拢1200 worth of Euros and Swiss Francs on Monday.





When Wednesday arrived i was very concerned that i had had no contact at all from TEG. Despite same a same day money transfer they claimed the money was not in their account, my bank confirmed the money had left my account %26amp; RBS (their bank) confirmed that the transaction should have gone in to TEG%26#39;s account same day.. TEG advised me to wait until tomorrow as same day transfers can take 3 days which is nonsense as confirmed by my bank. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and awaited their promised phone call with my royal mail confirmation number.. The call never came.





At this point i was very very worried about my money and i felt my holiday was in jeopardy so once again i called ...





I was again told the money was not in their account, i was foolish because i allowed myself to be fobbed off by the man on the other end of the phone AGAIN, shortly after i had taken all i could and my blood was boiling so i called them back, i spoke (probably more like shouting at this point) to another person, i don鈥檛 know if my temper did the trick or maybe it was when i said the words financial ombudsman but he said the money had cleared! I was so relieved! He promised that i would receive a tracking number via email.. And guess what, Friday afternoon and still no confirmation number.





I began typing an email to the company director at this point as i was sick with worry, as i was typing guess what! the postie came with my money!! phew!!





...But the story didn鈥檛 end there... i opened my letter and they had not given me the advertised rate, despite me ticking the box on the website to stick with the current rate they had given me todays much lower rate. Not only did i receive 15 Euros less than advertised but they sent me ALL the money in 200 Euro notes!! ...so now i need to get it all changed before my hol.. more time off work! I just don鈥檛 have any energy left to chase 15 Euros so i am just going to take it as a lesson learned - Go with a reputable company, its worth a few quid less, that is if they honor the advertised rate!!!!





In summary the people i spoke to at TEG where very rude (i found it VERY difficult to understand there accents which didn%26#39;t help matters) They would interrupt me regularly when i was talking and one person was clearly huffing and puffing when i was explaining my concerns ..despite me being mostly calm about my missing 拢1200!! After missing half a days work (and money - I%26#39;m self employed) to make phone calls to my bank, their bank (which they should have done but refused to) i feel like i have aged 20 years, really need this holiday now!!





TEG don鈥檛 see you as a valued customer, they don鈥檛 respect what all that hard earned money means to you, they see you as a way to make a fast buck, nothing more. There was NO communication from them, no reassurance and no customer service.



If you want any sort of peace of mind when changing your hard-earned i suggest you steer clear of these currency cowboys!





Many thanks!



Happy holidays



Karl




Spaceinvader, i%26#39;m sorry to hear of your problems! Thats the exact reason i didnt want to use a company that it went through the post etc. I wanted to be able to walk in somewhere pay and get my dollars instantly - still went through our bank account, via debit card, but we had the dollars in our hand before we left the shop!





Maybe they are only reliable if you go into their branch, which for some is obviously an impossibility!




Yes, i would agree with you Dawn. I think if you can deal with them face to face its much easier to avoid problems and mis-communications. Next time i get currency on the web i will use a more reputable company. Good customer service is worth paying for IMO!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment