Tuesday, April 17, 2012

key west safe for solo gal

traveling in Aug by myself, is it safe for a 40yr old and will I have a good time? Any suggestions?



key west safe for solo gal


Yes and yes, I went last December and it was safe and I had a blast so much so that I am headed back this coming December! I started in KW and ended up driving up the Keys Hwy, across the Everglades (on hwy 41) and over to Sanibel and never felt unsafe, and always had a wonderful time.





What do you like to see/do? That will help everyone with suggestions, and where are you staying?



key west safe for solo gal


I was considering the Crown Plaza to be in the action or The Reach Resort where I can relax on the ';beach';. I was going to try snorkeling, maybe a party cruise of some kind, or just taking in the local scene. This would be my first trip solo but I would like to make it back to Baltimore alive!! Thanks for your advice




Safe: VERY



Good time: INCREDIBLE!!





Suggestions...what do you like to do? Are you the outdoors, adventurous type, the drinking type, or the history and tours type? Maybe a combination of those!! Tell us a little more about you and you%26#39;ll receive tons of suggestions.





Have fun




I walk around KW by myself often and have never felt uneasy about it. The biggest crime throughout the Keys is DUI.




Don%26#39;t hesitate to go solo to Key West. Crime is practically non-existant and there are lots of group activities (sunset sails, snorkels, kayak tours, etc. etc.) that will provide you opportunities to be with other people.





In addition, you can always just plop down at a bar and strike up a conversation. You%26#39;ll be fine!




Agreed. You won%26#39;t have a problem without your ';I%26#39;m single'; tshirt. Have fun.




I%26#39;m not single, but walk around KW all the time solo. I feel safer there than at home. And I love how friendly everyone is as you pass them on the street, everyone has a ';hello%26#39; and smile, if not conversation as well!!




Is it safe for a 40 y.o.? NOT WHILE I%26#39;M DOWN!! 8-)





Will I have a good time? You definately will if you do things that you think only couples would enjoy. For example, go out on an afternoon sail or a snorkel trip to the roof or a combination snorkel / sunset sail. Any of these will cost approx. $40.00 - $45.00 with the tax and tip, but you will enjoy the sail and just being away from Key West on a boat, especially one with sails. You might even want to do an all-day trip which includes breakfast, snorkel, lunch, kayaking, and drinks on the way back. These run either $82.00 (Sebago Island T%26#39;Ing) or $102.00 (Danger Charters) including tax, and are my favorite things to do. Being single on one is no big deal since you will invariably end up chatting with other people, and probably get paired up for the two-person snorkel.





hth



Pjk




Hey,



As far as hotels go, you might enjoy something a little smaller where you%26#39;ll get more personal attention. Key West has so many wonderful small B%26amp;B%26#39;s that it would be a shame to miss out on that aspect. Pick one with a pool and you are all set. The best beach in KW is Fort Zach which is a state park. You can easily bike there from most B%26amp;B%26#39;s in Old Town. And definitely rent a bike. It%26#39;s the best way to see Key West, save on gas ($$$$), and get some excercise. Some nice B%26amp;B%26#39;s that I know of are: The Gardens, Marquesa, Alexander%26#39;s, The Conch House, Mermaid %26amp;The Alligator, Azul... And there are many, many more. You can check TA for reviews of these places and then decide for yourself what sounds good. Good luck and have fun!




I second the b and b recommendation. I stayed at Duval house last time (with a pool and garden and peaceful---mimosas with breakfast if you wanted!) and will be at Author%26#39;s Guest House this december. i did Lloyd%26#39;s Bike Tour my first mjorning there and loved it so much I rented a bike the next day and just pedaled around the town.





Be sure to do the sunset celebratrion at malory Square at least once (and look for interesting local gifts there, and along the bight). As for sunset cruises, they%26#39;re super, I did the Floridays but there are many other wonderful boats to choose from.





Enjoy, I wish I was there right now...never mind i have a perfectly good ocean (the Pacific0 in walking distance. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment