Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Careful of the Flowers

A good friend of mine has just returned from Florida and had a scary event he stopped at a sevice station and as they returned to the car they spotted a pretty yellow trumpet shaped flower growing close by, he picked a flower to smell it and didnt think anything more about it ,until they got back to there villa where he developed Skin irritation, elevated temperature, vomiting and diarrhea.



They rang the emergancy number in the villas book thinking food poisoning and an Ambulance arrived and after going through everything hed eaten that day they got to the problem it was the flower,its called Yellow Allamanda.





Are there many such plants that we should be warned about touching,which I admit I do alot with plants.



Careful of the Flowers


Lesson learned, don%26#39;t touch things that don%26#39;t belong to you.



Careful of the Flowers


I remember this flower, alhough it had another name where I lived in the Bahamas.





I just remember being told it was poisonous and to stay well clear.




How unfortunate for your friend Nemmis. It just goes to show how something so seemingly benign, can be hazardous.





I remember seeing a few Venus Flytraps on I-Drive outside some dodgy Electronics shop called ';Switch and bait, while you wait';!! rofl




Sumac is a bushy tall plant with bright red blossoms. It grows along the side of the road here, not sure about Florida.





It causes syptoms in some people like poison ivy %26amp; poison oak. Much less serious than your yellow flower.





I%26#39;d never heard of it either....




Nemis right though. Last thing I called petal smacked me one!




Common name



Yellow allamanda, golden trumpet, yellow bell, angel%26#39;s trumpet, buttercup flower, bunga akar kuning, wilkens-bita, llamarada, brownbud.



Family



Apocynaceae (dogbane family).





Overview



Yellow allamanda, a prolific bloomer, is a scrambling, perennial shrub or vine up to 15 feet tall it is a fast grower.



The big yellow funnel-shaped flowers are arranged in rather long racemes; mostly at the end of the branches. The leaves are smooth, thick, opposite and pointed.



The fruits are prickly capsules, splitting to release winged seeds.



Yellow allamanda has white milky sap in all parts, which oozes out as soon as it is broken.



All parts of the plant are considered poisonous and highly cathartic.




I know several people who never like their yellow allmanda touched.




http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allamanda





Just when I think you are kidding, you are serious.



Although this article implies the flower should not be found in FLA. The climate is warm enough, people probably bring them back from South America.




eileengs2 I am allways deadly serious in my posts ,my intention was to warn my fellow travelers about this seeminly innocent looking plant that can cause such terrible pain and suffering ,my friend still has nightmares even though he is back in the safety of the Isle Of Wight .


  • makeup skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment